Advanced Information Systems LAB, WS 11/12
Information and databases systems are the backbone of most modern information processing architectures and a core technology without which today's economy -- as well as many other aspects of our life -- would be impossible in their present forms. In this course the students apply advanced data managing concepts to real world problems and will solve a data-oriented task by implementing advanced data managing technology.
This course is project-oriented. It aims to solve one or multiple tasks by letting students develop small software projects. Students will be grouped into teams of 2-3 people.
The project consist of three milestones:
- Milestone 1 is is the research phase. In this phase students will study related work and develop initial solution to the research problem.
- Milestone 2 is the practical phase. In this phase students will prototype their solution in C/Java. Each team will be responsible for at least one component of the overall system.
- Milestone 3 is the validation phase. Students will test and benchmark their approach and compare it with existing solutions.
- Students are expected to have successfully passed the information systes base lecture as well as the database systems core lecture or equivalent lectures. Additional DB-related courses are considered a plus.
- This course counts 9 graded ECTS.
- Regular meetings are on Thursdays, 10.15 to 12:00, Place: room 222.2, Building E1.1
- The kickoff meeting will on October 20, 2011 at 10:15.
- The number of participants is limited to 15 people.
- Requirements for passing this course:
- Regular attendance of classes (you may miss at most one class)
- Active participation in research, practical, and validation phase
- Successful accomplishment of milestones (at least 50% for each milestone)
- Successful presentation of your programming project
- Final grade: Each milestone counts 20% of your overall grade. The final solution of your project counts 40% of your overall grade. Your team will influence your overall grade, however, each student will be graded individually.
- We will also offer a weekly office hour to help you with technical issues, write-up, presentations etc. Partiticpation in the office hour is voluntary, however highly recommended. In case we have any doubt on the quality of your milestones or project, we may ask you to attend office hours regularly.